Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Meant To Be Alone

I remember the first film of the trilogy, “lord of the rings”. I watched it with my two guy buddies. That was in Megamall, if I remember it correctly.

Now I sit in front of this near-to-collapsing, secondhand laptop with its monitor detached from the body. And I am staring at my still empty corkboard except for pictures and memorabilia from my last trip in Visayas. I need to write my term paper (hmmm, that sounded a bit nostalgic of my college days) or should I say industry study on software development here in the Philippines. I have my outline with me and yet my Muse seems to be off somewhere…having a blast, I hope not THAT MUCH, or I fear that that would mean she won’t come back for a while. I cannot by any means afford that. This paper is long overdue and with the term coming to an end in less than a month, I need to get my act together or else…hmmm, I wouldn’t want to mention that now. Because that would mean I’m actually acknowledging the possibility that it can happen…hehe =)

Now, back to the “lord of the rings”. “You are the Ring-bearer, Frodo...to bear a Ring of Power is to be alone”, that’s what it says in the card of the lotr cardgame (did I say that right? Sheesh =). Now I wonder and try to remember why I have that card in the first place. Yes, there was the premiere night but I’m not sure if that card was personally handed over to me at the counter or given by one of my buddies. Nevertheless, it raises one’s curiosity, or perhaps just mine, to get such a thought-provoking card. Meant to be Alone. No. 1 card. A boat and a picture of Elijah single-handedly pushing the boat towards the river…to cross to the other side. Now in the movie, Sam comes along, even to the point of drowning just to prove to Frodo that "I made a promise, Mr. Frodo, a promise: 'Don't you lose him Samwise Gamgee', and I don't mean to. I don't mean to." I wonder what would happen if Sam did drown. Would Frodo continue with the journey? What do you think?

But perhaps little details such as this do not compare to the enormity of the entire 3 parts of the movie…but it does leave one into thinking what-if? A lot would probably say that Frodo wouldn’t have been able to resist himself and would succumb to the power of the Ring without the ever-dependable Samwise Gamgee. Some would even wonder who would have been able to save Frodo from the giant spider…or carry him up the mountains?

The brave or the destined is not always that strong. Those who seem powerful are not always able to make it on their own. Every kind of strength is fueled by a weakness each of us hopes to overcome. Every obstacle is just another rope around our neck…cutting the air and in the process teaching our lungs to adjust… to take in more air next time…to expand a little more…to know our own limitations.

Or sometimes, just to get used to it.

Oh, here she is. Just in time. My muse is telling me enough of mindless writing. Its time to write about the boring stuff! =P *wink*

No comments: