Saturday, November 18, 2006

On Success and Failure

How many quotations have you heard about success? About failure?

I bet hundreds. There are so many out there you wonder how do we come up with so many ways to communicate the fundamental truths? Failure is what defines success. Its like knowing that there is a white so you can call the opposite the black. Pretty simple, right?

Well, that's just it. I swear I've known this since as far as I can remember. But I can't figure out why I still get surprised at times. The act of failing or losing is not “failure” in itself. It is the “not getting up” after the failure which makes US a FAILURE.

Success and failure are two inseparable things. One can't happen without the other. One can't exist without the other. And its so wrong to say we should be afraid of making mistakes. That would mean we are afraid of eventually succeeding.

Success and failure have been so thought-provoking that even Harvard has come up with its own study on this matter (check out
http://bsc.harvard.edu/SuccessFailure/ to know more).

I have my own thoughts on this. But I'll try to gather it for some time, muse over it, and well, present my unsolicited opinion later on (hehehe). But for now, I'll invite you to read about it. Maybe you can share some of your thoughts here? Don't hesitate. I welcome your opinions.


Ciao for now!

No comments: